Nigeria Technological Disaster

No further information immediately available.


Published Saturday, November 24, 2018

A seven-story building under construction has just collapsed at Woji GRA phase Two, Port Harcourt and workers said not to be less than 200 people have been trapped.

Legit.ng's regional reporter, Tony Ihunwo, learned authoritatively that so far 11 people have been rescued alive, at the time of filing this report.

Simeon Nwakaudu, the special assistant on electronic media to Governor Nyesom Wike confirmed the number of the rescued people to our reporter.

There are already two cranes trying to pull out the concrete slabs that have trapped many of the workers. Speaking at the scene of the accident, the state's commissioner for Information and communications, Emman Okah, said it was difficult to ascertain the number of those trapped but that the major concern of the relevant agencies is to see how victims can be rescued alive.

However, members of Nigerian Defence Safety Corps (NSCDC), Nigeria Police, National Emergency Agency (NEMA), Red Cross are already on site for the rescue.

"It is difficult to estimate the number of persons trapped. We have eight machines working on each floor. And on each machine, we have 22 persons attached to it. In fact, we should be more than 200 persons at the site," he said.
Source: DORRIS

Nigeria Technological Disaster Facts

Power: 0
Affected Area: 1 km.
Alert Level: Yellow
Category: Safety
Response: Avoid
Severity: Extreme
Urgency: Immediate
Certainty: Observed

Missing: 200
Evacuated: 11

DORRIS Mobile App
Be the first to know when something is happening in your area!