Maharashtra ammonia poisoning

No further information immediately available.


Published Wednesday, December 5, 2018

At least 14 people, including women and children, were admitted to hospital after inhaling ammonia gas which leaked from a chemical plant in Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra, police said Monday.

The incident took place at MIDC industrial zone in the Lote Parshuram area of Ratnagiri, around 330km from Mumbai, Friday morning, an official said.

The toxic gas leaked from the plant of Litmus Organic Pvt Ltd when employees were working inside the unit and spread to neighboring areas, he said.

Fourteen people residing in the gas leak affected areas, including six women and four children, complained of giddiness, vomiting and chest pain, he said.

They were rushed to a nearby hospital where they are undergoing treatment, the official said. After an investigation into the gas leak incident, the police found lapses on part of the company, he said.
Source: DORRIS