Canada carbon monoxide poisoning

No further information immediately available.


Published Thursday, December 6, 2018

Thirteen people were taken to the hospital Wednesday morning after suffering from carbon monoxide exposure in a Vancouver office building.

According to B.C. Emergency Health Services, paramedics were called to the 1600-block of West 5th Avenue just before 10 a.m., where an individual had collapsed.

When paramedics arrived, their carbon monoxide detectors went off immediately, the agency said. As others in the area began to present symptoms of CO exposure, five ambulances were called in to transport patients from the building to the hospital.

Two individuals are in critical condition, but the other 11 are in stable condition.

Fortis B.C. spokesperson Scott Neufeld said that the leak had been traced to a faulty heating unit. "We dispatched our technician, they inspected the gas appliances in the building, and they determined that it was an issue with the boiler," said Neufeld.

The appliance has been shut off until it can be repaired by a certified gas contractor.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced any time a carbon-based fuel such as gasoline, propane, charcoal or oil burns. When inhaled, it can reduce the body's ability to carry oxygen in the blood, causing illness and even death.
Source: DORRIS

Canada carbon monoxide poisoning Facts

Power: 0
Affected Area: 1 km.
Alert Level: Yellow
Category: Other
Response: Avoid
Severity: Extreme
Urgency: Immediate
Certainty: Observed

Injured: 13

DORRIS Mobile App
Be the first to know when something is happening in your area!