Port Harcourt building collapse

No further information immediately available.


Published Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Nigerian emergency management authorities on Monday confirmed 15 bodies were recovered and 31 persons rescued from the rubble of a seven-story building which collapsed last month in the southern city of Port Harcourt, the country's oil hub.

Ejike Martins, a coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, said "the peculiarity of this collapse is such that every floor fell directly on the other; the implication is that the debris will be removed bit by bit," Martins told a news conference in Port Harcourt, also the capital of the southern state of Rivers.

The building, located in a Government Reserved Area of the major Nigerian city, was under construction when it collapsed three weeks ago.

The slow pace of rescue operation at the site had earlier evoked strong criticisms from local citizens.
Source: DORRIS

Port Harcourt building collapse Facts

Power: 0
Affected Area: 1 km.
Alert Level: Green
Category: Safety
Response: Avoid
Severity: Extreme
Urgency: Immediate
Certainty: Observed

Killed: 15
Injured: 31

DORRIS Mobile App
Be the first to know when something is happening in your area!