Kashmir Protests

Updated: 12/19/2018 2:13:21 AM
Soldiers and police fanned out across Indian-controlled Kashmir on Monday to enforce a security lockdown for a second straight day to stop anti-India protests and foil a call by separatists for a march toward India's main military garrison in the disputed region.
Government forces patrolled streets in the region's main city of Srinagar and sealed off all the roads leading to India's military garrison in the city.
Authorities also stopped train services and suspended internet on cellphones in the region, a common tactic to make organizing protests more difficult and stop dissemination of protest videos by Kashmiris.
Source: DORRIS
Updated: 12/17/2018 1:47:18 AM
The army on Sunday asked people not to march towards its Srinagar headquarters on Monday on the call of separatists as the Kashmir Valley witnessed complete shutdown on Sunday to protest the killing of seven civilians at Sirnoo village in Pulwama district. All shops and business establishments were closed and traffic was off the roads. The train service between Baramulla and Banihal was also suspended.
Source: DORRIS

Published Sunday, December 16, 2018

Indian security forces shot dead seven people and wounded dozens of others on Saturday during a protest over the killing of three militants in a gun battle in restive Kashmir, the authorities said.

A defense spokesman, Col. Rajesh Kalia, said the police operation had been spurred in response to intelligence reports about the presence of militants in a village in Pulwama district, south of the state’s summer capital, Srinagar.

“During the operation, militants fired upon troops, leading to a gun battle in which three militants were killed,” he said.

A senior police officer told Reuters that large numbers of civilians then gathered at the site, leading to clashes between with security forces, in which seven people were killed and about 50 others injured.

The separatist group Hurriyat Conference called for a three-day strike and protests across Kashmir.

The authorities have suspended train services in the Kashmir Valley and shut down mobile internet services to try to prevent the unrest from spreading.

Indian security forces say they have killed 242 militants this year. In addition, 101 civilians and 82 security officials have also died, according to officials. The death toll is the highest in more than a decade.
Source: DORRIS