Egypt attack

Updated: 11/27/2017 12:54:13 AM
Gunmen who attacked a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai on Friday brandished a so-called Islamic State flag as they opened fire through doorways and windows, killing more than 300 worshippers, including two dozen children, officials said.
State news agency MENA said the death toll had risen to 305, including 27 children, and 128 people were injured.
Source: DORRIS

Published Saturday, November 25, 2017

Egypt has suffered its worst extremist attack in modern history – on a mosque in Northern Sinai Province.
Reports now say at least 235 worshippers were killed and at least 109 wounded during Friday prayers at the mosque in Bir al-Abed town.
The militants set off explosions and around forty gunmen then shot at worshippers as they fled the mosque and when ambulances arrived to treat the wounded they shot at them as well.
President al Sisi declared three days of mourning and addressed the nation.
No group has so far claimed responsibility.
The Sinai Region has been plagued by Islamist violence which has intensified in the last three years – Islamic State have stepped up attacks on police and the army, and killed hundreds of them.
There are Islamist attacks almost daily on the security services but the attack on a mosque seems to be a change in strategy.
In the past Islamists have also attacked local tribal groups whom they accuse of working with the security services.
Source: DORRIS

Egypt attack Facts

Power: 0
Affected Area: 2 km.
Alert Level: Green
Category: Safety
Response: Avoid
Severity: Avoid
Urgency: Past
Certainty: Avoid

Killed: 305
Injured: 109

DORRIS Mobile App
Be the first to know when something is happening in your area!

Other events in Egypt

- Egypt attack