Updated: 1/27/2020 1:55:52 PM
Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu has said the government is "seriously" preparing to deal with a possible strong earthquake in Istanbul, the country's largest city and economic hub.
He made the remark in a televised interview late on Sunday, two days after a deadly magnitude 6.8 earthquake hit Turkey's southeastern provinces of Elazig and Malatya.
"We expect a [magnitude] 7.5 earthquake in Istanbul ... We are seriously working on the possible scenario of the earthquake," he told broadcaster CNN Turk.
Soylu said that following a magnitude 5.8 tremor in Istanbul in September, government agencies have been coordinating regular meetings between 28 working groups to prepare for the event of a magnitude 7.5 quake.
"This is a very complex study, covering things from what to do to protect national treasures in the Topkapi Palace to the needs of the citizens in the meeting places," Soylu added.
Rescue teams supported by thousands of emergency workers from other provinces and by hundreds of volunteers had pulled 45 people from under the rubble since the earthquake, Turkey's AFAD disaster authority said.
AFAD said it had sent more than 10,400 tents, 17,000 beds, 37,000 blankets, heaters, and food supplies to affected areas. The agency said 1,521 buildings had been damaged, including 645 heavily damaged and 76 collapsed structures.
Updated: 1/27/2020 1:45:07 PM
The death toll from a 6.8-magnitude earthquake that hit eastern Turkey rose to 41 people on Monday after rescue workers pulled the last two missing victims from the rubble three days after disaster struck, a bitter reminder of the vulnerability of a country straddling active fault lines.
Updated: 1/26/2020 5:29:15 AM
Rescue teams working through the night pulled 45 people from collapsed buildings, Turkey's disaster authority said on Sunday, as the death toll from a powerful earthquake in the country's east rose to 35.
Published Sunday, January 26, 2020
At least 31 people have been killed and 1 547 injured after a shallow M6.8 earthquake hit near the town of Sivrice in eastern Turkey's Elazig province at 20:55 local time on January 24, 2020.
According to Turkey's Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) report issued early January 25, 18 people died in Elazig and 4 in neighboring Malatya province. The death toll rose to 31 and the number of injured to 1 547 by the end of the day.
AFAD said preliminary reports say the quake lasted 40 seconds. At least 530 aftershocks have been felt in the region, with 9 above M4.0 and the strongest registered at M5.4. Initial reports suggest 76 buildings were demolished, 42 damaged and 425 with minor damages.
The province was hit by an M6.0 earthquake in 2010, claiming the lives of 51 people.
Turkey earthquake Facts
Affected Area: 1 km.
Alert Level: Orange